The Animal Justice Party (AJP) is opposed to horse racing and the abuse
of animals for “sport” and entertainment.
1. As the industry cannot be regulated, rather than push for an
integrity commission, the AJP seeks to ban horse racing, including
jumps and harness racing.
Until then, interim measures include –
2. Prohibit the carrying and use of the whip and prohibit the use of
tongue ties, spurs and twitches.
3. Prohibit the slaughter of racehorses registered under the Australian
Rules of Racing (Racing Australia) and representative state and
territory racing Acts.
4. Prohibit the racing of horses under three years of age.
5. Increase penalty units/ imprisonment terms for the illegal use of
jiggers and doping.
6. Publish racehorses’ birth-to-death records in a transparent,
publicly accessible database.
7. Legislate the rehabilitation and rehoming of retired racehorses.
8. Decrease the number of race meetings.
9. Redirect government bailouts and subsidies to other sectors such as
human and environmental health and education. Also use funds to
assist those who work within the industry to retrain into new,
(For further details … see here)